Friday, September 12, 2008

Weekend

My cousin Drea is in town for Nintendo Power's 20th anniversary party at the Nintendo store. DJs, hors d'oeuvres, photobooth, Wii and Mark-Paul Gosselaar oh my! That's going down tonight. No RSVP, no entry.

My friend Les aka DJ Lil Tiger has a new radio show! It will be launched on Saturday with a party at PNC Radio Studio in DUMBO. The party is free, rain or shine, and you can RSVP here. Les is from Houston and has been DJing and doing radio shows for a long time. Hip hop flavor and lots of world influence - come with dance shoes on.

This Sunday at the Flea, they are hosting the Superstar DJ Record Fair! I'm excited for this one as DFA and Def Jux will be there, as well as DJs DB and Dara. Oldies and goodies, both of them. Other record labels, stores and DJs will be in attendance, some selling from their private collections. Which would be cool and all if I collected records but it's too late for me to get into that game. I'm excited for Blue Mountain Jamaican restaurants from Flatbush/Canarsie/Flatlands - serving up jerk chicken alongside pupusas and local ice cream!

Also on Sunday, the Brooklyn Book Festival featuring writers I read and admire, such as Joan Didion, Arther Nersesian, Jessica Hagedorn, Andrew Sean Greer, Adrian Tomine, as well as Thurston Moore and Ian MacKaye (of Sonic Youth and Minor Threat/Fugazi, respectively) talking about their new book. All events are free but some require tickets, which are available one hour before the event. Check the site for more details and schedule.

Busy weekend!

No comments: