Monday, February 18, 2008

Weekend movies

Knight Rider How hot is this car?? It's probably the only thing this dumb resurrection has going for it. The actors - suck. The premise - sucks. And the Hoff cameo? He should stick to releasing records in Japan. The car is really sick though; I've always had a soft spot for Mustangs.

Emmanuelle Don't ask me what possessed me to get this movie. Tasteless, fake sex scenes. Basically, French expats in Thailand boning each other for the first half of the movie. Then the main character, Emmanuelle, gets "educated" by an older man on the rules of eroticism. She pretty much gets raped and gangbanged by a bunch of locals while he watches, then at the end of the movie reapplies her makeup and wraps herself in a white feather boa while looking meaningfully at the camera. WOW.

The Wicker Man I wanted to see this original version of the Nic Cage rendition. Very creepy, more weird sex scenes, and relief in knowing that I won't check out the remake. It has been named one of the top British films ever, but then again, how many great British films are there? The whole time I watched this all I felt were alternating sensations of WTF?? and OMG! It did make me want to research May Day festivals and associated pagan rituals though so at least we have that.

I'm currently reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's pretty bleak so far, but then again that's how he do - I first started reading him in high school. I picked up a couple of his books on a whim while at National bookstore (a national chain in the Philippines...) and forgot about him until he started blowing up recently with the film renditions. I'd suggest starting with Child of God - if you like dark humor.

Celeb spotting - after exiting Garage on 7th Ave South this past Saturday I spied designer Waris Ahluwalia (of The Darjeeling Limited and The Life Aquatic) rushing past us. In his trademark turban and wearing plaid golf pants - I wanted to stop him for a photo op but was embarrassed to bother him. Not that many would care or know who he was :(

No comments: