Tuesday, May 6, 2008

InterThings

Random things found floating around on the info superhighway:

15 Things Kurt Vonnegut Said Better Than Anyone Else Has or Ever Will

From the Onion A.V. Club:
1. "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"
The actual advice here is technically a quote from Kurt Vonnegut's "good uncle" Alex, but Vonnegut was nice enough to pass it on at speeches and in A Man Without A Country. Though he was sometimes derided as too gloomy and cynical, Vonnegut's most resonant messages have always been hopeful in the face of almost-certain doom. And his best advice seems almost ridiculously simple: Give your own happiness a bit of brainspace.


8. "Since Alice had never received any religious instruction, and since she had led a blameless life, she never thought of her awful luck as being anything but accidents in a very busy place. Good for her."

Vonnegut's excellent-but-underrated Slapstick (he himself graded it a "D") was inspired by his sister Alice, who died of cancer just days after her husband was killed in an accident. Vonnegut's assessment of Alice's character—both in this introduction and in her fictional stand-in, Eliza Mellon Swain—is glowing and remarkable, and in this quote from the book's introduction, he manages to swipe at a favorite enemy (organized religion) and quietly, humbly embrace someone he clearly still missed a lot.

Definitely more gems to be found. I've only read a handful of his works but I am slowly working up to it.

From Eater L.A., The Week in Yelp's Bachelorette Party Train Wreck:
all my friends know, I HATE smoking with passion..
I know.. I am a drunken Korean girl.. BUT smoking is not my fetish at all..

few weeks ago, I went Karma for a CRAZY bachelorette party..
I am telling you.. it was my FIRST time bachelorette party ever..
after swiping the ID through the bouncer's card reader, I couldn't see and breath inside.. the place was full of smoking cloud and smell.. but as I told u, it was my FIRST time bachelorette party.. and I was strangely curious about it...

except me, all the girls knew to play with Hookah.. so.. me had to learn the way to inhale + exhale through it.. Apple flavor Hookah was hilariously delicious! felt weired.. but yes, it was my FIRST time bachelorette party! and I was figuring out the FIRST time Hookah.. during other girls' lots of shots (no worry I had way too much shots too!) and drunken songs (they had a Karaoke stage), I was still playing with Hookah.. drinks were strong enough, singers (especially Kudos on Missy Minnie) were crazy enough, and bouncer + bartender + wait staffs (*Hottie Alert*) were cute enough! do I need to say more? it was my FIRST time bachelorette party and FIRST time Hookah.. it was crazily FUN night! and again, my FIRST time bachelorette party and FIRST time Hookah! I loooooooooooooved it!


Hahahahaha!! What?? How can you have a bachelorette party at a hookah bar? And why isn't Blogger recognizing "bachelorette?" The other choices to choose from are "bachelor" or "bachelorhood." Oof.

Selected James Jarvis drawings on sale. I'm not as big a fan as I used to be but I still love his pear-shaped head characters:

drawing for sale




Example of his vinyl toys; image from Drastic Plastic

No comments: