Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus





2006, directed by Steven Shainberg (Secretary)

Visually stunning but also a bit staged and contrived. Not the way I would've done a tribute to Arbus but it was beautiful to watch nonetheless. I'd suggest watching this once, and then keeping it to watch with the sound off. I think old G n R ballads would work well (Patience, November Rain, Sweet Child O Mine, etc.). I'm not sure why but that's what pops into my head when I see these images.

Shainberg uses classical Hollywood film technique in his shot composition, which is fitting for the 1950s timeframe of the movie. This I liked very much.

The score itself is beautiful as well, as are the costumes.

Robert Downey Jr steals the show - it's a far, remote cry from Weird Science.

No comments: