Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I got tired of looking for Reservoir Dogs quotes

...which wouldn't be relevant anyway.

I'd been meaning to call Mr. Pink for a while, just to make sure he was still there. Mr. Pink is the owner of a store of the same name that sells vintage glass. That is, old cocktail sets from the 50s and 60s as well as those old McDonald's glasses - you know the Smurfs and Peanuts collections? Those. Before they started giving away these cheap plastic toys, Mickey D's used to give away cheap cartoon glasses. I had a few growing up but Mr. Pink had them all. It was a tiny little store on W. 16th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues on the north side. I have been coming to this store pretty much since I moved to NYC in 2003. The glasses are a bit expensive (about $8 a pop) but I don't know anywhere else in the city I'd find them.

I was walking to the train from 6th Ave when I spied the store and seeing the sale sign, rushed inside to see if he was closing for good.

Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink confirmed it - they were raising the rent on him and he said, "The landlord believes that a Capital One is gonna move in here and pay 3x the rent." I doubt they'd want a basement space but that's where NY's headed I guess.

I purchased four black and gold cocktail glasses from the 1950s and sadly watched as Mr. Pink wrapped them in paper then handed them to me one by one so I could put them in my bag. I'm so sad he's closing but I'm glad I caught him. "Keep us on the radar," he said, "we might pop up again. You never know."

Glasses from Mr. Pink

No comments: