Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I saw the world through the eyes of a child

Photo by MIREILLE SCHOONE via Lomography.com


Children are so smart nowadays.

Last night I was walking home from the train and was half eavesdropping on the conversation behind me.

Mom: Okay. Okay. One, stop walking into me and two, calm down! [This sounds like Alex yelling at me!]
Boy: Mom, Mom! If acid burns through things, what container do they keep it in? Can it burn through metal and glass? How do they keep it?
Mom: [utters something indiscernible]
Boy: Mom! Where does the water in our sinks and bathtubs come from?
Mom: The sewer system.
Boy: EWWWWWWW!!

Whatever happened to, why is the sky blue? At least I know the answer to that one. But if this teaches you anything, it's to never stop asking questions. That's how you get so smart.

1 comment:

outnaboutnewyork.com said...

That kid was me! when I was young, I asked a million questions like that. My parents knew I would get into mischeif so they signed me up for every afterschool program and summer school program there was. As an adult I went back to one of the afterschool programs where one of the teachers was still there though much older. She said she had a blast with me because i kept her on her toes! In high school someone signed my yearbook with "I remember you running around as a kid with your new inventions". I still ask questions today. Learning is continuous.