Three-dollar subway rides?? In this time of economic turmoil, here are some shopping tips, from a shopper who never sleeps.
1. If you're buying from a chain store (Gap, Club Monaco, J. Crew...) NEVER NEVER NEVER buy full price! Gap has crazy cheap sales and J. Crew often lowers their prices w/i 1-2 weeks of releasing new items, for promotion. Allow yourself only one or two must-have items but as much as possible, wait for it to go on sale. And if the item you want isn't on sale or is sold out, then tell yourself you weren't meant to have it. If you're worried about buying online, try the items on at the store. Then wait for them to go on sale.
2. Go to Forever 21 or H&M for super trendy items. Splurge on the classics, save on the frivolities.
3. If you use websites like Gilt Groupe or Hautelook, and you see something you like, check for it on eBay or Bluefly first. It may be cheaper. Additionally, if you see something on a retail site that you want, use Google shopping to find it cheaper. I found a pair of Tretorn skimmers on Zappos that I loved but at $70 they were a little much. So I typed them into Google and Eastern Mountain Sports had them for $35. I win!
4. Sample sales, sample sales, sample sales. Get on some newsletters and dig dig dig.
5. Overstock.com is a godsend.
6. You don't have to wait til the end of the season to find deals - mid-season is when most things go on sale to make room for the next one. So you still have half a season to wear your new things.
7. Make a list and stick to it - do not allow yourself to make impulse buys.
What are your tips for saving while spending?